Freetown, Sierra Leone
KIND OF INTERVENTION
- General objective: Ensure the accessibility to blood and safe derivative products for patients in need, particularly to women, nursing mothers, infants and children.
- Specific objective: Improve transfusion services and ensure the availability of blood, with priority to the Freetown area.
- Develop working drawings for the construction of the first Transfusion Center in Sierra Leone at the Connaught Hospital in Freetown;
- supply the equipment, consumables and reagents for the transfusion center;
- organize a long mission for technical assistance by a laboratory expert with experience in blood transfusion services and a short mission for technical assistance by an expert in hospital management;
- sponsorship of 6 scholarships, for two months each, for laboratory operators at the TransfusionCenter of San Raffaele Hospital in Milan;
- develop and introduce clinical protocols and prepare Standard Operating Procedures(SOPs) for the transfusion center;
- train personnel involved in methods of production of blood derivatives