Freetown and Makeni, Sierra Leone
Supporting access to safe blood and blood derivatives for patients in need of blood transfusions, particularly pregnant and labouring women, newborns and children with severe anaemia in Sierra Leone
- Technical assistance and training to the staff of the Blood Transfusion Centres in Freetown and Makeni and to the staff of the hospitals involved on the methods of production and management of blood derivatives.
- Supply of consumables, reagents and equipment for the receiving blood banks and Blood Transfusion Centres
- Construction of the new Blood Transfusion Centre at Makeni Hospital and rehabilitation at Connaught Hospital in Freetown
- Supervision through the establishment of an advisory technical committee for monitoring blood transfusion procedures in rural and urban areas of Freetown and Makeni
- Strengthening of blood donor groups through meetings and focus groups
- Awareness campaigns targeting the population to collect blood voluntarily with focus on TTIs (Transfusion Transmitted Infections)