1. Project in emergency/post-emergency contests
– Emergencies due to wars. We operates in countries affected by international wars or internal conflicts such as Afghanistan, Palestinian territories, Iraq and Sri Lanka. In Uganda, we operated at the Gulu Lacor Hospital where we helped facing the chronic emergency due to a civil war: every night thousands of children were coming to the hospital looking for shelter.
A similar situation is in South Sudan where AISPO is being operating for many year both in missionary and in governmental hospitals.
The conflicts in Siria and Iraq, due to the ISIS escalation of violence, has brought the attention of the Italian Ministry of foreign affair to the Kurdistan Region where AISPO is operating to enhance health service, especially, emergency services. As millions of refugees and Internally Displaced People are seeking shelter in Kurdistan ( because it is a safer place to live) the health services must meet the needs of a much wider number of patients,
– Emergency due to natural disasters. We operated in Sri Lanka to give relief to local people after the tsunami, in Afghanistan after the earthquake in 2002 and recently in Mozambico to give support to local people affected by a disastrous flood,
– Emergency due to epidemics. A very strong humanitarian experience was fighting the Ebola virus in Uganda 2001.
2. Development Projects
– Basic Health projects. Consistently with OMS strategy and goals, AISPO supports and enhances health districts services, by supporting the implementation of national health programs.
– Support to General Hospitals. AISPO supported the Beni Messur Hospital in Algeria, the Lacor Hospital in Gulu and Nsambya, Uganda; The Ramallah, Beit Jalla Jenin Hospital in the Palestinian Territories. The Association supported also the Delek Hospital in Dharamsala, India where a Mother and Child department was built and made operational. Finally the General and Pediatric Hospital in Herat, Afghanistan
– Support to Highly Specialized Hospital. AISPO supported and enhanced a number of Hospitals: the Sao Rafael Hospital of Bahia, which upgraded from district Hospital to University Hospital with highly specialized departments; the Indian Spinal Injuries Center (New Delhi) focused on the care, assistance and rehabilitation of patients with marrow injuries. Today AISPO collaborates with the Hue University/Hospital (Vietnam), where we have realized and equipped a P3 laboratory (highly secured, for virus studies) and an intensive care Unit for patients affected by pulmonary pathologies. Furthermore, AISPO is working with the Duhok governatorate to realize a Marrow Trasplant Unit
Training is a constant activities in all AISPO Projects
Local training is carried out in different ways:
– Training on the Job carried out by our experts. AISPO Experts impart clinical expertise such as: laboratory diagnostics, prevention and anticipation of cancer affecting woman, diagnostical studies and non-invasive therapies such as endo-laparoscopy, transfusions, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, treatment for blood diseases.
– Seminars, workshops, courses conferences are very frequently organized on the above mentioned medical issues.
Training in Italy:
– San Raffaele Hospital hosts health/technical/managerial staff from beneficiary countries. In collaboration with local health authorities, AISPO offers them theoretical and practical training courses and deals with logistics and administrative aspects of their trip.
– Frequently AISPO organizes highly specialized courses for medical doctors and nurses in collaboration with San Raffaele University (http://www.unisr.it/ ) or other Universities (such as University of Sassari and Naples).
A very important aspect is the assessment of training needs.
(a) AISPO send Italian experts on site to evaluate, together with the candidate and counterparties, the training needs,
(b) analysis and indications of the beneficiary institutions leaders , are to be kept very much in consideration because they are directly related to the project final goal, that is the up-grading of the health service concerned,
(c) The training activities may involve several people from the same health service but with different responsibilities (medical doctors, professors, nurses, technical staff, engineers)
In any time, the initially determined training programs, can be modified according to the specific training needs of students and local authorities.
In short AISPO can offer:
1. Expertise and technical assistance to health authorities for the elaboration of strategic development plans for health system at local, district and national level.
2. Expertise and technical assistance to health authorities for the elaboration of strategic development plans for specific health services (Pediatrics, Oncology, Mather and Child, hematology).
3. Expertise and technical assistance to health authorities for the elaboration of Master Plan for the development of I, II and III level Health Centre.
4. Expertise and technical assistance to health/hospital authorities for the elaboration and application of SOPs in relation to either Clinical Operative Units and ancillary services (Pharmacy, Storage room, Cleanings).
5. Expertise and technical assistance to health authorities for the identification of training needs of clinical, technical and managerial staff in relation to the above mentioned points.
6. Expertise and technical assistance to teaching staff in order to develop Training services like academic courses, workshops, conferences, seminars, paramedical schools.
7. Expertise and technical assistance to Academics for the development of institutional training courses and classes (Degrees, Masters, Post-graduation courses) in collaboration with Italian excellence Health Centre (e.g. Saint Raffaele Hospital/University) and with local partners (Hospital/University) AISPO elaborates and develop Research Protocol on issues of particular interest for the beneficiary country.
Download “AISPO Expertise” brochure